Web Design VS SEO
Web design and SEO remains locked in a heated debate separated by user experience and online visibility. Each side stand behind their respective craft with the belief that their work is vital to online success. However, the main goal of SEO is to drive traffic by increasing the ranking in the search engines. The web design must communicate the experience the brand has through the client’s website. Both of them are essential to any company but they use different ideas and techniques. How can SEO and web design team work together to achieve the best site for clients?
The Design Aspect
Most of the first and second generation websites are more than a decade old, they are designed with little or no thought about website optimization when it comes to search user engagement and search engine optimization. So what is web optimization and why do we need it?
A website which cannot be found in the search engine is useless and if the experience users derive by using a website is poor, visitors will leave immediately. In some cases, it is better not to have a website than to have a poorly designed website which will leave visitors with a negative view of your organization.
Your company can also be at a competitive disadvantage if your website is not well designed. As a marketing manager of any organization, you need to ensure that the website of your organization is visually impressive, intuitive and interesting to visit. This will help to improve your company’s brand reputation as well as the potential for success. However, making a plan for a better website is crucial.
The web designers create website having the client’s audience in mind. Most time, their belief is that the user’s experience dictates success. At the basic level, teams that are creative tell a story. With the aid of design and copy, the team takes the brand and crafts a unique world for it. They build a website with a theme and look; a flavor and feel. Most time, the most effective way to convey a message is with the aid of technologies like AJAX, Flash Animation, as well as Silverlight. Video integrations like YouTube have also become frequent recently. Because these technologies engage the user, designers will want to make use of them. With the aid of technological integration, the design can be brought to life and the story of any brand can be told. If Silverlight and Flash will make the experience of a site more interactive and enticing, then designers can also implement them accordingly.
What to Look for When Designing a Website
Website design depends on the industry as well as the level of competition; a website design can be either simple or complex for organizations that are offering many products or services. Below are the important points to consider when choosing a digital marketing agency.
1. Establish a baseline – research your competitors, the best point to start when you want to design a website is how it will look and how it will function. To do this, you take a look at the website of other competitor and see how their own website is designed and how it functions. Carry out a thorough research ahead of time and discuss with the management about websites the users like and those ones they don’t like. This will be a great starting point towards understanding what the users’ desire and things you need to avoid.
2. When carrying out your research with the competitors, endeavor to understand the reason why some competitors rank very well in the search engine while others can’t be found in the first two pages of the search results. Although an inexperienced marketing manager might not know what to look for, by taking a look at your competitor’s website you will have a good understanding of the terms used, where to position them and how the website navigation and menu are laid out.
3. Contact different digital marketing agencies to discuss their approach, previous clients as well as price. Try to ask about the role of the search engine optimization and visitor engagement in the website design and development. Take note and ask questions about topics you are unfamiliar with so as to educate yourself with the answers.
4. To understand the capabilities and success of any digital agency you have to know the previous and current clients and this is why you need to ask for references. Take a look at the websites and find out if they are similar or each one is unique with respect to the need of each client. When an agency has many website designs, it shows diversity and the ability to adapt to different situation and industries.
5. If you are not sure on how to proceed, you can ask for a website audit or review from one of the agencies being considered. Which one of the agency conducted the highest website audit? Which one of them was able to provide sufficient explanations?
The SEO Team
Once a designer tells a story, the search engine will provide directions. The SEO focus mainly on traffic and visibility, their belief is that a website has to be seen to be heard. The surprise is that SEO wants to utilize those expressive technologies as well.
They are more cautious about where and when. Although a SEO-friendly website doesn’t need to be straight HTML however, SEO team must consider how search engine set up their algorithms and the best approach to use so that a site will rank well. Even if a site uses AJAX, the key content must be accessible for indexing.
This is the point where the two discipline clash. Whenever creative say Flash, the SEO team counters with CSS. Also, SEO wants text-based navigation while creative wants rollover. Now which one is more important: the traffic or the experience?
Whenever you drive traffic to a site, the experience users have is also important and this is why it can’t be about search engine only. However, the users, as well as the client, will be disappointed if the content is not good.
Also, what good is the eye catching website if no one sees it? The internet is very big for both experimental search optimization and web design. Education is the key to this kind of compromise. The designers need to understand how SEO works and SEO must also comprehend the significance of design elements to branding and messaging. However, both of them have to consider how a visitor will get to the site.
The Client Comes First
The interest of the client has to be the major concern for the web designers and SEO because clients want both search visibility and brand identity. The creative and SEO have to put their feud aside to achieve this.